Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Toasty Toes and other Night Things

The weatherman is promising really cold weather for later in the week.

Because I care about you, I have to tell you about the most wonderful, and perhaps, most used gift I think Les and I ever received. You need to make yourself (and a loved one or 5) this wonderful toe toaster.

Here's our recipe for Toasty Toes:



Ingredients:

Tube socks

Bag of frijoles (any kind of dried bean will work)

Your friend, the sewing machine (optional)

Doesn't this sound great already?

--Open the bag of beans.
--Pour some in the tube sock--you don't have to fill it up.
--Stitch the opening closed or tie it shut with a knot.

When in need of some warmth--just pop this in the microwave for one to three minutes. (be careful --the beans can get really hot.)

Now put this baby to work:

--Stash it at the foot of your bed a little bit before you climb in and your toes will be thanking you.
--Sling it around your neck to soothe tired and achy muscles.
--Plop it on your tummy while laying on the couch for instant relief from those times.


This stays warm a long time.


I swear, we had no idea what a wonderful thing this was when Kathy gave it to us. We had to make another one, cause we fought over it!

The one with the fancy writing was our gift--note the slight grunginess from continual use! I really ought to wash that thing.....Also, note the warning not to heat it over 90 seconds. Hmmmm. Don't believe I noticed that before!



See how happy my feet are?


The Night Thing:


Did you know last night was a Full Moon?

Did you know the full moon in January is called the wolf moon? According to the Farmer's Almanac (BTW, always cite your sources): Northeaster Native American tribes named each full moon and the Full Wolf Moon is in January. Amid the cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside Indian villages. Thus, the name for January's full Moon. Sometimes it was also referred to as the Old Moon, or the Moon After Yule.

Did you know last night the moon appeared 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than it will ever again in 2009?!?

And did you know (just one more thing I found out on MSNBC:) The moon is moving away as you read this, by about 1.6 inches (4 centimeters) a year. Eventually this drift will force the moon to take 47 days to circle our world.

Man, aren't you glad you're reading my blog? The things you learn!

Now for your viewing pleasure, here's a bad picture I took last night of the moon to share with you:



And just so you will know, I have spent way to much time on this post, preparing you for the bleak midwinter and educating you on the night sky.

AND I'm sorry for the weird random spacing: Blogger didn't want to work all the time, I couldn't get it to save my double spacing, so I went to edit HTML. That's dangerous. So now there's lotsa space....Oh well, I'm going to bed!

6 comments:

Coloradolady said...

I am going to make one of these, my feet are freezing...and my hands are too as I am on the computer.....what a great idea.

Sarah Kamolz said...

.....pst..... i'm the little birdie people hear stuff from and i hear corn in those socks don't smell as bad as the beans..... but maybe they don't stay as warm as long... who knows... and maybe the fact that i was really ill made it smell worse.... what do i know... i'm just a little birdie

Andi said...

Gee, I prefer to stick my toes between my hubby's thighs at night to get them warm. I feel it is his duty as my "provider." I bet he would prefer the sock thing!

Unknown said...

Oh my...I would love one of those "toasty toe" things! My feet are always cold!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I always use rice. I don't know why,but it all works the same. DON'T use popcorn though. Wouldn's that be funny? i never thoughtof taking it to bed but always use it on my neck or whatever else ails ya. Mlazesin

Anonymous said...

I always use rice. I never thought of useing it to keep my toes warm, just put it on my neck or whatever else ails ya. DON'T use popcorn though. That would be funny. mom

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24