Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Yep, It's a Bowl of Cherries

Last week on Vintage Thingie Thursday, I tempted you with the edge of my beautiful hand-painted bowl of cherries. Now I'm gonna show you the whole thing and share some fond memories of a wonderful aunt.


My great-great Aunt Lela painted this beautiful bowl. I loved going with my grandparents when they got together with their best friends, Ray and Lela, to play bridge. They were tiny little people who lived in a tiny little house in a tiny little town. They were so sweet and fun. Aunt Lela had been a grade school teacher and she and my uncle had never had kids. They were always glad to see whichever grandchild was spending the night with Grandad Marvin and Grandma Irene!

Because they both were small, their kitchen had shorter kitchen counters than usual. It was like going and visiting a doll house! I have loved organizing stuff since childhood and she would 'let' me clean out drawers while they played cards. (Can you believe that?! And I think I even got to pick the drawer!) It was such fun to discover what was in there. Usually I was counting cards to make sure they were all there, or putting the dominoes back in the box or just aligning pens and pencils. Uncle Ray had served in World War II and many interesting stories from the bits and pieces of their lives were hidden away in drawers.

One of my favorite things at their house was a large frame with red velvet inside. Arranged on the velvet, in the shape of a pine tree, were hundreds of pieces of costume jewelry. Do you remember those? I would so love to have that today. But twenty years ago, I would have called it junk and tossed it out!

In the sunroom, there were treasures from their cabin in Colorado. Real treasures--like plaster casts of bear prints, baskets full of pine cones and Indian (Native American!) beads and pottery. Aunt Lela always had an easel set up with a painting in progress. She and my grandma loved to paint together. Grandad and Uncle Ray loved fishing and both couples played a mean game of bridge. How fortunate that your relatives can be your best friends too!


Here's a closeup of the lacy edge of the bowl. It has a gold rim. I like the woody details of the branches and the highlights on the fruit.

I'm so glad I have this piece of china. Red cherries just make me smile and the site of the bowl brings back fond memories of a much-loved Aunt.

Yep, you know the Thursday drill--
Visit The Colorado Lady!
Sign up on Mr. Linky!
View other awesome wonders!

21 comments:

Andi said...

I don't think I ever knew Uncle Ray, and I barely remember her house. I think I only went there once. But of course, everyone loved Aunt Lela! I'm glad you got such a beautiful bowl from her!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

That is such a sweet story and the bowl is beautiful. What a great treasure to have.
Molly

Patty said...

Aunt Lela was talented! That really is a pretty bowl. I love the edge on it. I'm glad you have it now. I used to go rooting in the drawers of my grandmother's dining room cabinet. Once, I found a prescription pill bottle with what looked like a small rock in it. Turned out it was her gallstone. Thanks for reminding me of that! :)

CC said...

Your bowl is just beautiful. How talented your aunt was. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a talent like that?
Happy VTT, have a lovely weekend.

Miri said...

What a beautiful bowl! Your great-great aunt was very talented! Loved the story...thanks for sharing it.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

what a precious treasure!.. thanks for sharing.. seems your great great aunt is very lovely lady.. and talented too!

have a great day!

ClassyChassy said...

Oh I want that bowl! It is a real gem!!! Happy VTT!

Coloradolady said...

What a beautiful treasure! I just love the cherries. This is such a sweet little bowl. I love it, very happy looking! Have a wonderful week.

Anonymous said...

Geez. Auntie sure did have talent,I love the blues she integrated. That's just simply gorgeous!

Susan said...

Such a treasure indeed! I loved the story and it must have been a treat going over to their home...loved how you said it was like a dollhouse.

SueLovesCherries said...

Thank you for remembering to show the bowl! It's really beautiful - and the painting is so well done! I have a thing for those lacy plates and bowls, they're so delicate. How sweet to have "tiny" friends!

Sarah said...

What a treasure you have and such wonderful memories to go with it! TFS

Anonymous said...

what a treasure and a delightful story. thanks for sharing :)

Bea said...

Your bowl is gorgeous! Love your story behind it. Ray and Lela sound like wonderful people.

Barbara Jean said...

That's a beautiful bowl.
thanks for sharing and blessings on your day.

barbara Jean

Donna said...

Just beautiful what talent!
blessings to all
donna

Salmagundi said...

Oh, that is one beautiful plate. Your aunt had amazing talent. How fortunate that you received the plate. Enjoy it with the memories. Sally

Ruby said...

Family stories are just the best! Thanks for sharing the bowl and the story. Ruby

Paula said...

What a great story - I could picture it as I read it. I have thought of the things I threw away long ago that would be classic Vintage now! Good thing I don't know what they are!
Thanksf or the share, Paula in Idaho

Beca said...

What a great story. That plate is so pretty. Thanks for sharing

Marilyn said...

I am glad that you have the bowl. MOst of all I am glad that you have so many memories of our dear Aunt Lela and Uncle Ray.

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24