For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)
"All Things are dark and confused now, compared to what they will be when we see him face to face." Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
Here on earth, we are peering into the kingdom of God through a dirty, smudgy window. We can see the possibilities of an inviting home--a welcoming fire, a well-set table, a warm haven from the world. But sometimes it feels like we can rub on that window to clear the view all we want, to no avail. It might seem we knock at the door of this refuge repeatedly, but no one answers. It is only through the light of Heaven that the window is cleared to give us a full view of what God has in store for us.
I know that God hears and answers every prayer of the believer. I know that He loves us with an uncomprehending love. I am confident that He has a plan and a purpose for everything.
I know, that I know, that I know....
Head knowledge is easy. Heart knowledge, not so much. Seeing the struggles of people in the world can be so discouraging, so saddening, so disheartening. Reading the news just illustrates what a dark world we are living in. Sometimes I wonder if any of us are listening to Him.
Aren't you so thankful that God gives us little glimpses of His kingdom, His possibilities, His plans for us? The world wants to drag us down. Satan wants us to doubt God's love and care for us.
I am so grateful to have witnessed these events yesterday:
- A smiling young man walks to the front of the church, holding the hand of his wife, boldly proclaiming his new life in Christ.
- A young woman comes forward to accept Jesus. She's a long-time church member whom I assumed to be a Christian. Her friend and her mom rejoice at the front with her.
- A dad and his elementary aged daughter stand in the aisle, praying together. Teenage boys come forward to pray--a friend supporting a friend.
- A friend whom I've known since High School tells me of the cumulative answers to almost twenty five years of prayers within a few short weeks.
- A young mom in my "Crazy Love" small group shares the instantaneous answer to prayers lifted on her behalf the previous Sunday.
Isn't it amazing when the Lord clears the window a little to show us the possibilities of the future of an eternal life with Him? He knows us so well; He knows just when we need some encouragement!
Our feeble human minds cannot comprehend the glory of God. The Message translation says:
12We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!
Someday there will be Heaven. But today, I want to be thankful for these moments when God reveals Himself so clearly--even if it is only for a brief moment in time. I want to know Him more. If I can just keep life from getting in the way.