Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Thursday, January 07, 2010

No, You go first

When I was in grade school, my friends and I talked on the phone. Alot.

Please remember that we were country kids and lived about ten miles apart and couldn't just walk down the block to visit!

We had a party line, and in the midst of a spirited conversation about Shaun Cassidy we would be so rudely interrupted and told to get off the phone because someone else would like to use it! (like anyone else was important!  Just kidding) One thing about a party line that you learned early--never talk about the eccentricities of your neighbor down the road--they just might be listening in!

When it was time to go, we always waited for the other one to hang up first.  You know the routine:

--bye
--talk to you later
pause
--Aren't you going to hang up?
--yeah.
long pause
--well.  hang up.
--no you.
--no, you go first.
pause
--well, go!
--let's go together.  1....2....3
pause
--you didn't hang up!
line clicking
--Girls!  Get off the phone!
CLICK!



I thought of that tonight while chatting with my away-from-home-daughter at college (sniff) on Facebook.
 
I told Sarah I was going to bed, then I waited for her to reply.
Then I told her to read my sister's blog and waited for her to reply. And she did.
Then I told her 'night.' and waited....'till she replied....
Then I told her 'muah.' and...well, you know.
And when she replied I finally exercised a tiny bit of self-discipline and closed the darn facebook window.

And came over here to write down these reminiscences so I wouldn't forget.

I love the fact that she is in college and having a relatively, mostly great time (in spite of homework and work and photo editing).
I love the fact that we can chat online in real time.
I love having the freedom to call and talk as often and as long as I want (when she and I have time!)  and not have to share my phone line with anyone!

But.  I hate the hanging up part, the saying goodbye part.  I still don't want to go first.  I want to hear the 'click' in the phone or see her box close on facebook, because I can't seem to tear myself away.

And next year Molly's gonna be gone too!

I love technology--it makes saying goodbye a little easier.

p. s.  I think I should submit this to AT&T or Sprint or Verizon--what do you think!  It could be a great commercial!

p.p.s.  Copyright January 6, 2010.  Dawn Castor All rights reserved.  

p.p.p.s.  just in case ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. It is our party line country isolated roots.

This would make a great commercial too.

Miss your face!
P

Andi said...

Dang. I so need to get on facebook...But then I'd be toast for ever interacting with Studmuffin...

Sarah Kamolz said...

Haha! The funny thing was, I still had business to do on facebook. and I didn't even know you were waiting for me to get off! And my net was being janked up last night! It was having issues sending stuff!

The Lumberjack's Wife said...

Oh, what would we do without Facebook? Seriously, Andi. You must join us.

Marilyn said...

I am too old. I only check facebook when I get a message, or Ihave something really important to say. What happened to e-mail?

Relyn Lawson said...

Your childhood conversations sound a lot like mine did. Even now I find myself reluctant to hang up when talking to a loved one. I always wait for them to go first.

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24