Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Just Open The Book



Today was a day for relaxing.  A day to do nothing, be nothing and accomplish nothing. So I opened a book (or two) and flew way on the magic carpet made of paper and ink.  Words, punctuation, white space. Dotes and lines and squiggles.  All seem to be an unlikely means of traveling anywhere in space and time.  But through the power of language I traveled far. 

Today, I was the chosen one. I have the mark of God's favor on me but my family abused my innocence of its true meaning and power to use me as a political pawn. 

I was kidnapped, but soon learned that my kidnappers would become my most trusted friends. 

I fell in love twice. My first love was killed before my eyes when my enemy and captor sliced his throat . I can't forget how his blood covered my leather armor.  And I can't forget that he died protecting me and to ensure that I would one day be the ruler of the known world. 

There are few friends for a chosen one.  Betrayal can be found everywhere.  Many want to use my power. In the beginning, I don't even know what I am capable of.  It will take months and months of hardship and trials to learn what I can do. I traveled with four companions.  Two are trustworthy--my lady's maid and the captain of the Royal Guard. (He is my second love). Two are possible enemies.  But I have learned it is sometimes good to keep your enemies close. 

We escaped certain death by stealing a fishing boat to rendezvous with the brother of the captain of my guard. While sailing across the sea,  an unearthly tropical storm picked up our ship and left us on the shores of a deserted island that pulsed with the power of the ancient earth.  My companion and sometimes enemy, Storm, and I harnessed that power and brought it back to civilization with us.  It is this task that shows me he is worthy  I defeated powerful magicians and stopped the warfare between four kingdoms.

I bought a child slave out of pity and she saved my life.

We caught up with an enemy party and rescued Hector--my love, my advisor, my friend and the Captain of my Royal Guard, killing all 16 of the enemy. He was in bad shape, but I have learned enough of the power that I hold to heal his concussion, knife wounds and broken bones. 

My companions and I traveled for days to cross a mountain range before the snows began.  We were only at our destination for a few days when circumstances forced us to take again and the snows underground through abandoned mine tunnels, battling fear, exhaustion, giant scorpions, and  collapsing floors, only to discover that the exit to the caves was blocked with rock fall.  Enemies trapped me in a pit that was so deep that when I fell my leg was shattered and a broken rib punctured my lung.  Luckily, another chosen one heard my cry and used his power to heal my body.  

defeated powerful magicians and stopped the warfare between four kingdoms.  

I ordered the death of some traitors and the lifelong punishment of others. 

I was married wearing the finest silk and the crown of the realm. 

It is hard and exhausting to be queen. 

Luckily, I can close the book and go back to being ordinary me. 

It was a wonderful, exciting, relaxing, stimulating day. 

Read Rae Carson's fantasy trilogy beginning with The Girl of Fire and Thorns."  

You, too, can be queen--just open the book. 



 

No comments:

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24