Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Monday, February 23, 2009

The Right Word--Beautiful!


As I'm wandering (and wondering!) through blogland, I notice that a lot of people use the word 'random.' And 'stuff.' And 'ramble.' And they begin sentences with 'so.'

Not that that observation has anything to do with anything. (hmmm. repeated two words in one short sentence?) But language and words are so interesting to me. I love reading Psalms and Proverbs for the beautiful imagery they often convey or the way Solomon just nails it on the head with a few well chosen words! My current favorite verse is from The Message translation.



"The right word at the right time--beautiful!" Proverbs 15:23


I love it! I search for the right words so often and come up empty-handed, or tongued. I struggle with speaking because my mind is usually racing ahead of my mouth and I'm so worried I'll leave something out that I usually do! And I can't find the right word, so I settle for words like random and stuff! I hate that. Not that those words don't have their place because after all, we all have random stuff that there is no better description for! But I read all the time. I have a large writing vocabulary (well, maybe!). Why won't those wonderful words that are in my head come out my mouth?

When I want to greet someone by name, I forget it! Or worse, call them the wrong one--usually the name of someone they don't want to be mistaken for! Or I want to give someone a compliment, but do the words come out? No. I'm afraid they will think I'm stupid. When I try to give directions, I gesture and use vague statements like 'somewhere over there.' I mix up left and right. It's easier to show than to explain.

The worst is when emotions are running high. I'm a terrible argue-er. I will avoid confrontation at all cost because I usually cry instead of talk. And all the wonderful arguements or defenses or statements fly far from my brain, even though they were well rehearsed! Arghhh.

Word choices are so important. The old rhyme about sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me is so not true. People are hurt so easily with careless statements or an unkind tone of voice.
I worry that my love of sarcasm (how sad is that--loving to be rude!) will not be taken in the joking manner it was intended. I really shouldn't use it. I'm trying to cut back. Really! But teenagers make it so tempting.....
My prayer all days and always is that I will find the right words and have the presence of mind to use them.
Or maybe I'll just be a hermit.

1 comment:

Andi said...

I had a hard time not encouraging Brook and Kris's sarcasm. It is just too funny and too true at times! I would say, "Kris, that was mean. Don't say things like that!" His reply: And yet, you're laughing!

Darn. But, he was right. Sarcasm is funny. Too bad it's usually not uplifting!

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24