Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

What I Did My First Official Day of Summer Vacation

Yes, yes, I know that we have been out of school about two weeks, but the first few days, I was getting ready for the trip, then we were gone on the cruise, then we had to do laundry from the cruise, then it was church and yesterday was my Grandma's birthday so I went to my parents house so....

Today was the first official day of summer vacation because I picked what I wanted to do (not that I didn't want to do all those things except perhaps laundry) so here's what I did.

I had a hard time deciding. I need to put the binding on my quilt and it will be finished. There's a bunch of crafty things I want to work on.

I want to paint the spare bedroom, the entryway and my bathroom. Well, let me rephrase that, I want them painted a different color. I don't want to paint, but that's what will have to happen if I want a change. I want to paint (you know what I mean) my bathroom cabinets white.

I want to crawl up on the roof with a saw and put in a solartube so the bathrooms will have light. I can't believe anyone would not put windows in a room with an outside wall. I had considered getting a sledge hammer and breaking one out of the wall, but somehow I think Les will be happier with the Solar Tube!

I need to pull weeds. I need to get rid of piles of detritus that is piled on the table, the bar, the kitchen cabinet, the desk.....


But I didn't do any of that. Our living room is dark--we could use some solar tubes in it also. Or skylights. Or dormer windows--wouldn't that look cute? And so affordable.....

To lighten up the room, I used some wallpaper from the old house and lined the backs of the living room shelves. I didn't want to paint because, well, because I hate painting, I didn't want to sand or prime and you can't change your mind later.
Shelves before:

The wallpaper is a non permanent solution. I've been wanting to do this for a long time and love the results.


I used double faced tape and hopefully it will come off later! These shelves are non-movable so I had to cut paper for each shelf space individually. Luckily, this wallpaper doesn't have to be matched so I had hardly any waste, and it was easy. Till I ran out of Scotch tape....

I ran out on the last shelf and had to use some double faced tape I purchased at Dollar Tree. IT IS HORRIBLE--DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY! I love Dollar Tree but this stuff was not good. I muttered, and swore and complained and moaned and the darn paper would not stick to this tape!

And I re-discovered a yucky thing about my body that I had forgotten about. I just hate it when I am resting my elbows on a hard surface and trying to work on something and have to move them and they sound crunchy. Yuck. What's up with that????

There is a set of shelves either side of the fireplace in the living room and in the den. I think they look lots brighter! What do you think?



Now, go ahead, rest your elbows on a table top, push down and kind of rock your arm around. Here that crunch? Yucky isn't it!

No comments:

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24