Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Monday, January 04, 2010

Dear Red Chair



Did you miss me today?  I thought of you as I updated computers, checked in books unpacked books, ran back and forth to the computer lab for technical assistance, updated my library schedule calendar and did the plethora of other chores that filled my day.  I missed you--I missed your yummy color, your open arms and your comfy lap. 

It was a lovely vacation, wasn't it?   We had a great time, you and I.  Christmas break was a wonderful bonding time for the two of us.  I can't believe how much time we got to spend together!

You've supported me as I frantically sewed the finishing touches on the 'too many Christmas projects' I managed to complete--I couldn't have done it without you.

You kept me safe while I lost myself in books:  as I explored the creek beds and pastures of 19th century Texas, when my castle was being bombed by Nazi war planes and even helped when I remodeled my old house in Maine and fled from a professional assassin!  I know you laughed at the antics of Grandma Dowdel (can you imagine being trussed up naked with fishing line in an old lady's outhouse?).   Isn't it lovely how we can experience any place, time or event and remain safe at home?

I'm so glad we could share coffee and cookies--perhaps I left a crumb or two for Daisy to find this week while she's home alone.  Thankfully, you are able to hold the extra pound or three I got for Christmas this year.  Remind me next time and we'll just share coffee!

I've really enjoyed our naps together by the fire.  The smell of burning oak, the warmth of a vintage quilt, the knowledge that we had nowhere to go and no time schedule--what simple luxury it was!

It is not good bye, dear one--but let us say as the French do, "Au Revoir"--till we meet again!

For I'll be seeing you in the evenings--after dishes and laundry and other chores are finished.  Never fear, I won't forget you--nor forsake you--for the office chair at work.

9 comments:

Andi said...

I love that picture! It makes me want to ignore the world and read a book.

And, actually, Mindy got to pick WHEREVER she wanted to eat. I was originally hoping for Red Robin, but CiCi's was good too. :)

Keetha Broyles said...

I love this post - - - you SO captured Christmas break.

I have a chair too - - - but mine is green leather with a leopard snuggie instead of the vintage quilt.

Marilyn said...

I want a NEW chair, one that will take me to all of those places. Is it like a flying carpet or what. :^)

Barbara Jean said...

cute post.

I sure do appreciate when you come by and leave a comment.

I do not get around to visiting everyone i would like, but so glad you are still here when i come by.

blessings and have a super week!

barbara jean

Laura said...

You make words come alive. I love reading your blog. It almost makes me want to sit and read a book. I guess I'll knit instead.Laura

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like your chair, too. I'm trying very hard not to be jealous....

Southern Gal said...

Hi. I'm here from Andi's blog. I LOVE to read. I get lost in books for days at a time. Not a good thing with a 7yo around. So I 'compromise' and read aloud to him.

Love your photos and the old pics. I recently scanned school photos on a post about my hair and some were red. I need to make them black and white.

The Lumberjack's Wife said...

I love that chair! It looks so lovely. Great post-sounds like you had a nice break. :)

Relyn Lawson said...

Your beautiful, beautiful chair and I both say thanks for this lovely letter. Chair asked me to tell you not to wait till next Christmas to do it again.

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24