Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Thursday, April 01, 2010

The Cowboy, the Indian and the Buffalo


While spending a few days of spring break with my parents, I scanned a bunch of family pictures, including this one.

I don't know who it is or where it was taken, but I do know that it's awesome!

Vintage pictures are the greatest!

Mom, can you fill us in?

 Mom says " This is Billy Henderson,  my great, great Uncle."  He was a brother to my grandmother Coykendall's Mother.  This picture was taken on his ranch near Kit Carson, Colorado.  This picture was probably taken in the 1920's.  Uncle Billy was a Brand Inspector and had several friends who were Native Americans.  My grandmother had several Indian artifacts and some beaded leather work that they had given to him.  The Indian shown in this picture was a friend but I do not know what his name was.  My dad would have as he remembered everything, even if he had to make it up.

From my Aunt Patty:  
"Uncle Billy and his father (Grandma Katie's grandfather) Old Tom Henderson (what Katie always called him) first made their living in the Kit Carson, Colorado area catching wild horses and breaking them ~ to sell to the Army Cavalry. That would have been in the late 1800s. Tom Henderson was from Scotland. I was told that he came into Canada ... through Nova Scotia ~ that he at one time worked for the Hudson Bay Company and though he eventually became a citizen of the US he came here as an illigal immigrant. Have not checked any of this out."

4 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

What a writing prompt that shot could be.

Andi said...

I love it! "My dad would have as he remembered everything, even if he had to make it up."

I think it runs in our family!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE old photos! Great picture. :)

Marilyn said...

I learned more about Uncle Billy. Uncle Billy along with his dad, Tom Henderson (your GGG grandfather) also caught wild horses and broke and trained them for the army. the animals in this picture were part of his herd used for producing cattallo. We now call them Beefallo. Aunt Patty gave me this information this morning. she also had a good laugh about what Dad would do.

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24