Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

This Past Weekend...

Molly found her ladybug flashlight at the Drugstore in my hometown.


I saw Angel's Wings in a tree near a farmhouse.

My nephew Elvis (not his real name, lest you think we are rednecks) caught a five pound carp in the creek! (but maybe we are rednecks--he's wearing an earflap hunting cap, a rodeo jacket and they went fishing when it was only about 35 degrees outside!)


I had a great time at my parent's this weekend while my husband is on the other side of the world.  We stayed up late, slept late (time change should always happen on a school break) and talked and ate and laughed and perhaps even cried a bit!  

My dad and I fixed a dresser that belonged to my mom's grandmother.  Molly and I taught my parents to play Farkle and beat them 3 (or was it four?) out of five games of Sequence.  We had a divine lunch and a terrific visit with my grandma.  We attended church on Sunday with my parents and two nephews and grandmother.  Molly taught the kids class--they learned about Balaam's Donkey (Numbers 22--go read it!) and then when it seemed that the adult class was never going to end played Ninja and Hangman--very spiritually, I'm sure!

I love the fact that Les has been called to be a music minister and I love our church.  But the thing I miss is that we never get to go to church with our own families unless they come to ours.  It was wonderful to go to church and not take mental attendance or worry about rehearsing for the music or any of those other things that minister's families do as a matter of course every week.  We went to church and just were there!  No duties!  No obligations!  No tuning of instruments!  It was lovely!  I'll have to try it again in the next ten years or so!

Les called me on Monday morning and talked a thousand miles an hour.  There was a slight delay and he was breathless with the excitement of talking to me from AFRICA!  Les' Memaw would have been in awe that it sounded like he was just right there beside her!  

The trip is going wonderfully, Les gave his testimony on Sunday (or Monday , I'm not sure what day it was).  He was so funny before he left because he was apprehensive about sharing his testimony.  That is weird to me since he speaks of spiritual matters to people all the time.  When he finished (it was through an interpreter, by the way) a girl asked how she could have what he had and was saved!  

He said he had lots more to tell, but there is very little phone service and no wifi at the hotel so he will be saving up for Sunday when they return!  


3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Thank you so much for sharing this time with us. We enjoyed our time with you so much. It is a rare thing. It was 3 out of 4 games in sequence. We are just slow. It is always fun to have our kids and grands come home.

SueLovesCherries said...

Hi Dawn! Thanks for stopping by Rednesday and ID-ing my "sculpture"! (And you say you're not a redneck, lol!) That's so cool that your husband is in Africa! Our church also sponsors a village in Malawi!

Freckled Hen said...

How lovely it sounds to spend the weekend with family, that it what I miss most about home. Those weekends when it just turns out to be great with little pressure to organize everyone's schedule. Safe travels to your husband, his trip sounds incredible- I hope you share more about it!

PS Redneck or not, that is an amazing fish!

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24