Disclaimer:

Many stories herein are subject to the faulty, and sometimes creative, memory of the blog owner and should not be taken as factual, although the names and events are real! Kind of.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Home Grown Tomatoes

Who doesn't like home grown tomatoes? Sadly, I've not had any yet this year. All that we've bought taste kind of wimpy!

But here's a fix for those wimpy tasting, less than red, store-bought tomatoes. I think I read this in a magazine like Country Living but can't remember. It's easy and delicious!


Assemble the ingredients:
Wimpy tomatoes
Olive Oil
Basil
Sea Salt
Feta Cheese

Slice tomatoes thinly and arrange on a plate.
Sprinkle with Basil. I used dried basil, but if you're one of those herb gardeners that have some fresh on hand, chop it up and sprinkle over the tomatoes!
Drizzle with olive oil--go ahead! I promise this won't be oily! You might want to use a brush to spread it around a bit.
Use that grinder and sprinkle with sea salt. The bigger bits make the flavor divine!
Sprinkle with Feta Cheese.

Let it set awhile. I usually (all two times I've made it!) make it before starting supper so that it sets about 30 minutes.


Serve and devour--yum! And if you've got GOOD tomatoes, it's even better!

Well, Dawn, Why don't you grown your own? I'm so glad you asked!

The only time I've had success growing tomatoes was the time a plant came up volunteer (a little birdy!) in a planter. These were delicious! So the next year I planted some. Not much success, but I thought, oh well, I'm a tomato novice, I'll try again next year.

I've found out that I can grow lovely tomato plants. They get big and beautiful and bigger and more beautiful and a few yellow flowers here and there--but alas, very few tomatoes do we ever see!

Last year, I decided to try an heirloom tomato. The fruit was supposed to be kind of odd shaped and stripey. I swear the plant would have filled up my childhood bedroom. I put a fence around it and it still sprawled everywhere! And every time I went near the thing, my skin itched and my mouth itched and my eyes itched.....

And we got very few tomatoes. Until October. Then the darn thing really set on and I had buckets of hard little green balls when I finally pulled the plant up--wearing long sleeves and a mask! I filled up four yard trash bags with the plant and decided I would wait a few years before I would venture into the tomato growing business again!

Except right now, I'm typing this in my yard by my pond and I see there's this empty space in my flower bed that is begging to be filled with.........

3 comments:

Becky said...

This year has been a poor tomato year for us - of the ten or so plants that we planted only one as two sad little tomatoes on it! I never even buy tomatoes at the story because they taste so poor, but that recipe sounds delicious!

Mandy said...

I don't really even like tomatoes, but I loved the book I just read. Yep, you gave it to me Sunday night and I am all ready finished! Yes, that means I am a little sleep deprived but it was worth it! Thanks for the rec.

Andi said...

Okay, I used this tonight for my home grown grape tomatoes. For some reason they are all dry and hollow, but with this topping they are fabulous!

One Last Thought.......

Pleasant words are a honeycomb;
sweet to the soul and healing to the body.
Proverbs 16:
24